A stroke occurs when a blood clot blocks oxygen from reaching the brain. The cells in the oxygen-deficient area quickly die and skills present in that area may be affected. More women suffer from strokes every year than men, and twice as many women die from stroke than from breast cancer.
- Stroke Consumer Fact Sheet
- Cardio/Cerebrovascular Diseases Scientific Fact Sheet
- Women and Stroke (Briefing, October 2001)
- Symposium on Stroke and Women (October 2001)
- “The Family Guide to Surviving Stroke and Communication Disorders,” Dennis Tanner, 1999