Traumatic brain injury occurs when a head injury causes brain damage. The injury can be caused by a blow to the head or by something that penetrates the skull and disrupts brain function. Most brain injuries are not as severe as TBI. In some cases, a milder brain injury can result in a concussion.
- Veterans Health Brochure (2011)
- What a Difference an X Makes: The State of Women’s Health Research – A Focus on Female Veterans (July 2011)
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) – Concussion
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association – Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Brain Injury Association of America
- Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health & Traumatic Brain Injury
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke – Traumatic Brain Injury