Advance translational research on musculoskeletal health in women and men.
- Barbara D. Boyan, PhD, Virginia Commonwealth University (Network Chair)
- Richard D. Coutts, MD, University of California, San Diego (Network Co-Chair)
- Karen J. Berkley, PhD, Florida State University
- Roger M. Enoka, PhD, University of Colorado
- David A. Hart, PhD, University of Calgary
- Wendy M. Kohrt, PhD, University of Colorado
- Kent Kwoh, MD, University of Pittsburgh
- Daniel P. Nicolella, PhD, Southwest Research Institute
- Mary I. O’Connor, MD, Mayo Clinic
- Kathleen A. Sluka, PT, PhD, University of Iowa
- Laura Tosi, MD, Children’s National Health System
Peer-reviewed Publications and Reviews
- Daniel P. Nicolella et al., “Mechanical Contributors to Sex Differences in Idiopathic Knee Osteoarthritis.” Biology of Sex Differences 3, no. 28 (2012). PMID:23259740
- Kathleen A. Sluka et al., “Neural and Psychosocial Contributions to Sex Differences in Knee Osteoarthritic Pain.” Biology of Sex Differences 3, no. 26 (2012). PMID:23244577
- Barbara D. Boyan et al., “Hormonal Modulation of Connective Tissue Homeostasis and Sex Differences in Risk for Osteoarthritis of the Knee.” Biology of Sex Differences 4, no. 3 (2013). PMID:23374322
- Barbara D. Boyan et al., “Addressing the Gaps: Sex Differences in Osteoarthritis of the Knee.” Biology of Sex Differences 4, no. 4 (2013). PMID:23374401
- Qingfen Pan et al., “Characterization of osteoarthritic human knees indicates potential sex differences.” Biology of Sex Differences 7, no. 27 (2016). PMID: 27257472
Symposia and Oral/Poster Presentations
- “Sex and Gender Differences in Knee Osteoarthritis: Impact on Clinical Practice.” Instructional Course Lecture at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Las Vegas, NV, February 25-28, 2009. Chair: Barbara D. Boyan. Speakers: Mary I. O’Connor, Wendy M. Kohrt, and Daniel P. Nicolella.
- “Sex and Gender Differences in Knee Osteoarthritis.” Symposia at the Third Annual Meeting of the Organization for the Study of Sex Differences (OSSD), Toronto, ON, June 4-6, 2009. Chair: Barbara D. Boyan. Presenters: Mary I. O’Connor, Wendy M. Kohrt, Daniel P. Nicolella, and Amy Lerner.
- “Higher Occurrence of Knee Osteoarthritis (OA) in Older Female Baboons and the Value of the Baboon in Studies of Naturally Occurring Human OA.” Poster presentation at the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research 2010 Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada. October 15-19, 2010. Authors: DJ Araujo, T Lerma, Thomas E. Macrini, Todd L. Bredbenner, Daniel P. Nicolella, and Lorena M. Havill.
- “Sex Differences and Their Impact on Osteoarthritis (OA).” Symposia at the Sixth Annual Meeting of the Organization for the Study of Sex Differences. Baltimore, MD, June 7-9, 2012. Co-chairs: Barbara D. Boyan and Roger M. Enoka. Presenters: Mary I. O’Connor, David A. Hart, Kathleen A. Sluka, and Lorena M. Havill.
- AAOS/CORR/ORS/CMH-UCD/SWHR Musculoskeletal Sex Differences throughout the Lifespan Research Symposium, Rosemont, IL, June 30, 2014. Co-Chairs: Laura Tosi, Karl Jepsen, John Healey, and Nancy Lane. Planning Committee: Elizabeth Arendt, Adele Boskey, Barbara D. Boyan, Laura M. Bruse Gehrig, and Mary I. O’Connor.
- “Determination of sex differences, heritability, and sex-specific genetic effects on knee arthritis in a non-human primate model.” Awarded to Daniel P. Nicolella and Richard D. Coutts; Collaborator: Lorena Havill, 2010-2011.
- “Genetic architecture of knee OA: Lessons from healthy joints in animals of advanced age.” Awarded to Richard D. Coutts and Daniel P. Nicolella; Collaborator: Lorena Havill, 2011-2012.
- “An analysis of sex differences in knee osteoarthritis.” Awarded to Mary I. O’Connor, Karen J. Berkley, Barbara D. Boyan, and David Hart, 2011-2015.
- “Association of vitamin D status with pain reporting in the Health ABC Study.” Awarded to Laura Tosi and Kent Kwoh, 2012. Collaborators: Jane Cauley, Robert Boudreau, Steve Kritchevsky, Denise Houston.