“Our work in the Sleep Network is exemplary in generating focus on areas such as the root causes of sex/gender based susceptibility to insomnia, the role of sex hormones in modulating sleep and health outcomes across the lifespan, and sex differences in pharmodynamics of hypnotics resulting in safety concerns.”
– Susan Redline, MD, MPH – Peter C Farrell Professor of Sleep Medicine – Harvard Medical School, & SWHR Sleep Network Chair
2014 – Present
To promote awareness, education, and research that highlights sex/gender differences in sleep and circadian rhythms and their impact on health and wellbeing across the lifespan.
- Develop resources to facilitate the inclusion of sex and gender differences in basic and clinical research.
- Create and disseminate educational materials to policymakers, healthcare providers and the public.
- Susan Redline, MD, MPH, Harvard Medical School (Network Chair)
- Jessica A. Mong, PhD, University of Maryland (Network Co-Chair)
- Hrayr Attarian, MD, Northwestern University
- Fiona Baker, PhD, SRI International
- Meir Kryger, MD, FRCPC, Yale University
- Andrew D. Krystal, MD, Duke University
- Judette Louis, MD, MPH, University of South Florida
- Jodi Mindell, PhD, Saint Joseph’s University
- Amita Sehgal, PhD, University of Pennsylvania
- Katherine M. Sharkey, MD, PhD, Brown University
- Ken P. Wright, Jr., PhD, University of Colorado, Boulder
- Phyllis C. Zee, MD, PhD, Northwestern University
Rebecca Nebel, PhD
Peer-reviewed Articles and Reviews
- Mallampalli and Carter, “Exploring Sex and Gender Differences in Sleep Health: A Society for Women’s Health Research Report.” Journal of Women’s Health 23, no. 7 (2014): 553-562. PMID: 24956068
- Krystal and Attarian. “Sleep Medications and Women: a Review of Issues to Consider for Optimizing the Care of Women with Sleep Disorders.” Current Sleep Medicine Reports 2, no. 4 (2016): 218-222.
Presentations and Symposia
- “Exploring Sex and Gender Differences in Sleep Health.” Poster presentation at the Organization for the Study of Sex Differences (OSSD) Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, April 24-26, 2014. Presenter: Monica P. Mallampalli.
- “The Importance of Creating an Interdisciplinary Network To Study Sex And Gender Differences In Sleep.” Poster presentation at the Sixth World Congress on Sleep Medicine, Seoul, Korea, March 21-25, 2015. Authors: Hrayr Attarian, Monica P. Mallampalli, and Christine L. Carter; Presenter: Hrayr Attarian.
- “Sleep and Sex.” Symposium at the Organization for the Study of Sex Differences Annual Meeting, Palo Alto, CA, April 22-25, 2015. Chair: David A. Ehrmann. Presenters: Eve Van Cauter, Jessica A. Mong, Fiona C. Baker, and David Garbe.
- Why We Need to Pay More Attention to Women’s Sleep Dr. Monica P. Mallampalli, June 24, 2014
- Beware Risky Sleep Drug Usage in Older Americans, All for a Good Night’s Sleep Dr. Christine L. Carter, July 9, 2014
- Are Your Sleep Drugs Hurting Your Contraceptives? Dr. Hrayr Attarian, July 18, 2014
- Not Just a Man’s Disease — Women Get Sleep Apnea Too! Dr. Hrayr Attarian, September 19, 2014
- Do Long Winter Nights Impact Women’s Health? Dr. Katherine Sharkey, November 18, 2014
- Women’s Sleep Health and MyApnea.Org: Opportunities to ‘Power’ Future Research and ‘Personalize’ Medicine Dr. Susan Redline and Dr. Emily Kontos, March 18, 2015
- Poor Quality Sleep: A Silent Source of Disability in Breast Cancer Dr. Hrayr Attarian, May 13, 2015
- PTSD: Not Just in Soldiers, And Not Just in Men Dr. Meir Kryger, May 18, 2015
- Just Pregnancy Tiredness, Or Something Else? Dr. Judette Louis and Dr. Yu Sun Bin, September 14, 2016
- Who Should Be Screened For Sleep Apnea? The Answer Is Not Always Obvious Dr. Rebecca Nebel, March 6, 2017
- Menopausal Hot Flashes: Middle of the Night Sleep Intruders. Dr. Fiona Baker, April 7, 2017
- What Fruit Flies Can Tell Us About Human Sleep and Circadian Disorders. Dr. Paula Haynes and Dr. Amita Sehgal, April 26, 2017
- Sleep, Pregnancy, And Your Future Health. Dr. Judette Louis and Dr. Mary Ashley Cain. May 12, 2017
[vc_btn title=”Support Our Work” shape=”square” color=”inverse” link=”url:http%3A%2F%2Fswhr.org%2Fdonate%2F|title:Support%20Out%20Work|target:%20_blank|”]