To raise awareness of the impact of bladder health on women’s well-being across the lifespan. Since unhealthy bladders disproportionately affect women and girls the Network aims to:
- Review current information and identify knowledge gaps and make recommendations to inform research, policy, and education.
- Raise awareness through advocacy among agencies, patient advocacy groups and medical societies.
- Promote education among health care providers, educators, and the general public.
“It is critical that we advance the field of women’s health in urology. While often thought of as a “quality of life” issue in the past, current leaders in our field recognize that urinary incontinence and lower urinary tract symptoms are linked directly to cardiac disease, diabetes, depression, and musculoskeletal problems.”
– Elizabeth R. Mueller, MD, MSME. FACS, Professor, Departments of Obstetrics/Gynecology and Urology, & SWHR Urology Network Chair
- Elizabeth Mueller, MD, MSME, Loyola University (Network Chair)
- Margot Damaser, PhD, Cleveland Clinic (Network Co-Chair)
- Cindy Amundsen, MD, Duke University
- Toby Chai, MD, Yale University
- Clare Close, MD, Close Pediatric Urology
- Michael DiSanto, PhD, Rowan University
- Matthew Fraser, PhD, Duke University
Rebecca Nebel, PhD
- Stephanie Kielb, MD, Northwestern University
- George Kuchel, MD, University of Connecticut
- Mary Palmer, PhD, RN, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Candace Parker-Autry, MD, Wake Forest University
- Alan Wolfe, PhD, Loyola University
Peer-reviewed Publications and Reviews
- Liliana Losada et al., “Expert Panel Recommendations on Lower Urinary Tract Health of Women across their Lifespan.” Journal of Women’s Health 25, no. 11(2016): 1086-1096. PMID: 27285829
- Mueller et al., “Letter to the Editor: Women’s Urological Health as a Priority to the Woman Well Visit.” Women’s Health Issues 26, no. 4 (2016): 476-477. PMID: 27448751
Presentations and Symposia
- “Urological Health in Women Across the Lifespan.” Presented at the 23rd Women’s Health Congress, Washington, DC, April 14-17, 2015. Authors: Monica P. Mallampalli and Christine L. Carter.
- “Urological Health in Women Across the Lifespan“: An Interdisciplinary Research Network.” Presented at the 2nd International Congress on Underactive Bladder – CURE UAB, Denver, CO, December 3-4, 2015. Authors: Liliana Losada and Monica P. Mallampalli.
- “Raising Awareness of Bladder Health in our Schools.” Presented at the 48th Annual Conference of National Association of School Nurses (NASN), Indianapolis, IN, June 30 – July 3, 2016. Authors: Clare Close and Elizabeth R. Mueller.
- “Raising Awareness of Bladder Health in our Schools: Engaging our School Nurses.” Webinar. Presented at the Prevention of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (PLUS) Research Consortium meeting, November 2, 2016. Presenters: Clare Close and Elizabeth R. Mueller.
- “Urological Health in Women Across the Lifespan: An Interdisciplinary Research Network.” Poster. Presented at the 2017 Innovating for Continence Conference, Chicago, IL, April 20-21, 2017. Authors: Rebecca Nebel and Monica Mallampalli.
- School Bathroom Habits Impact Life-Long Bladder Health: Opening the Door to the Girls’ Room Dr. Clare Close, October 9, 2015
- What is a Healthy Bladder? Dr. Toby Chai and Dr. Candace Parker-Autry, February 4, 2016
- One More Mom-To-Teenage-Daughter Talk: The School Bathroom Dr. Clare Close, November 21, 2016
Sponsorship of this network does not imply agreement with any content and/or comments presented by the members during network proceedings.