Intern for Fundraising Department
- Responsibilities – assisting with tracking invitations to and pledges for annual gala, liaison with vendors,entering and processing donations, preparing acknowledgment letters and reports, updating donor files, and researching potential sources of support.
- Learning Objectives – basics of non-profit fundraising and event management.
- Requirements – excellent communication skills,including strong writing and proofreading skills with knowledge of basic English grammar, punctuation, and style, and completion of college-level courses in English, communications, or public relations.
Intern for Government Affairs
Responsibilities – Assists in all government affairs activities, including:
- Maintains databases and the collation of public policy information for SWHR’s Congressional scorecard.
- Assists in the development of written appropriations testimony that is consistent with SWHR’s advocacy priorities.
- Responds to requests for technical assistance including researching particular policy issues.
- Assists in the monitoring, tracking, and analyzing of legislative issues that have an impact on women’s health research.
- Attends Congressional visits for learning purposes when appropriate.
- Attends meetings, hearings, or briefings as assigned on behalf of SWHR.
- Assists with maintaining copies and files.
- Other duties as assigned.
Learning Objectives – Assist Director of Public Policy with government affairs issues, grassroots efforts, briefings and other tasks.
Requirements – A preference for students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in political science, government relations, international affairs or related fields. Knowledge and a basic understanding of the federal legislative processes required. Position-holder must be able to follow written and oral communication directions, while simultaneously coordinating a variety of complex projects and work within deadlines. Effective oral and written communication skills, creative approaches to problem solving and the ability to be flexible and work under pressure also required.
Intern for Communications Department
SWHR is now accepting applications for a Communications Intern. This unpaid internship is a great opportunity to make a real difference in women’s health, while making contacts in the health, sciences, marketing and communications fields. The position requires an energetic, social media savvy individual with confidence in interpersonal communication, excellent writing skills, and an interest in women’s health. Click here to see the full job description.
Intern for Science Department
Responsibilities – reviewing scientific publications and conducting online research, reviewing current web material and suggesting updates and/or changes to webmaster, drafting material to be posted online, assisting with member prospecting and other membership society fundraising, and office support.
Learning Objectives – how to do secondary research on women’s health and sex differences, how to manage citations and execute basic office support tasks, the basics of website maintenance and composition, and the basics of fundraising for professional societies.
Requirements – strong writing and research skills, completion of college-level courses in life/health sciences.
Disclaimer: These descriptions are intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive. The position-holder will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities are subject to change. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.